Register people to vote
In Texas, you must be a Volunteer Deputy Voter Registrar (VDVR) to register people to vote in elections.
- Take a one-hour Zoom class to become a VDVR
- Already a current VDVR? Join the Rice VDVR listserv to learn about opportunities to register the Rice community to vote. If you know someone who is a current VDVR, ask and invite them to join the listserv.
- Email the Rice VDVRs if you would like to incorporate voter registration into your event or classroom.
- Our voter registration toolkit has just about everything you need to register voters - forms, pens, PPE, signs, and more. It can be checked out from the Kelley Center service desk (basement of Fondren Library) starting September 1.
On-Campus VDVR Trainings (2023)
Volunteer Deputy Voter Registrar Training sessions at Fondren Library on Rice campus this spring. These are public events open to Rice faculty, staff, students, and the general public community.
- Wednesday, January 11th at 2:00 p.m. in Fondren Library, room B43-A, Collabration Room, max 35 attendees.
This one-hour training will give you all the necessary information you’ll need to effectively go out and register voters in Harris County. There is no need to pre-register for this training. You can fill out an application the day of, and after completing the entire training you will receive your Certificate of Appointment within 5-10 business days in the mail.
- Monday, January 30th at 3:00 p.m.
We will host another in-person training on in Fondren Library, in the Kyle Morrow Room on 3rd floor, max: 100 attendees. You can pre-register for this training using the following link: https://www.eventbrite.
- More on site training on Rice campus in later months: TBD
If any of these in-person training dates conflict with your schedule, feel free to join us for our virtual training using this link: http://us02web.zoom.us/
We would love to have you join us to help spread democracy in 2023 on campus. You can reach me via email email@example.com, call my office 713.348.6212, or email Meagan at Meagan.Blackwell@vote.hctx.net or call her cell at (832) 474-1272 if you have any questions or concerns!